BoxSmart ‘On the Ropes’ is a targeted youth intervention project aimed at young people, aged between 11-15years old living in the Colchester Borough :
- Who may be at risk or already involved in ASB in their community.
- More vulnerable and/or at greater risk of exploitation
- At risk of school exclusion, excluded, on reduced school timetable or within alternative education provisions.
- Isolated and/or struggling with poor physical or mental health.
Young people living in the Colchester area can access a fully supported course that covers boxing skills and techniques, kick boxing, martial arts and other activities along with support, guidance, mentoring and topical discussions from qualified coaches and Essex Youth Service staff.
During the course young people will have opportunities to gain awards and qualifications in the various sports along with first aid certificate. On completion of the course young people will be offered reduced or free one-year membership licence to continue their learning in Martial Arts and Kick Boxing and gain further awards/belts.
The 24-week course is broken down into two x 12-week sessions with beginners and advanced activities.
The first 12-week session starts on 21st September, 4.30-6pm at Ninja Warrior/SD-Martial Arts, 259 Greenstead Rd, Colchester CO12 SJJ
Please see attached information and referral criteria should you have someone you wish to refer.
Referral form: https://forms.office.com/e/w0QiBGgYvB
Places are limited so please get your referrals in as soon as possible
This project looks to achieve:
- Changes in negative behaviours and attitudes
- Reduce conflict within the home, community, and school.
- Improve and regulate self-control.
- Increase understanding of social and peer factors around risk taking behaviours, gangs, knife crimes and county lines to make positive choices
- Increase confidence and self-esteem.
- Positive mental health and well-being
- Increased engagement in sports and physical activities
- Increased understanding of health benefits and lifestyle
During the 24-week targeted intervention referral programme young people will be working with Ultimate Ninja boxing and martial arts coaches and Essex Youth service. The course is free and includes resources and refreshments.
The project focuses on using sports and physical activities alongside mentoring and life skills discussions to create a pro-social change in behaviours and attitudes for young people when faced with changeling social and peer pressures.
Who can refer:
Police, Education, Community teams, *Statutory, community and voluntary agencies and parent/ guardian self-referrals.
*We are very sorry, but this course is not open to referrals from Youth Offending Service(YOS) teams other than young people being supported by the YOS Turnaround programme.
If you wish to discuss a referral, please email Jade Glaister Jade Glaister – Youth Support Worker. Jade.Glaister2@essex.gov.uk