Active Braintree Foundation is calling for residents to nominate local sporting stars and physical activity projects as part of the annual Active Braintree Sports Awards, which celebrates the outstanding efforts and achievements of sporting individuals and organisations across the district.
The awards, now in its sixth year, will recognise not only the sporting triumphs of 2019 but also the hard work and commitment from volunteers, coaches and schools.
Last year’s winners included Oli Cutmore from Braintree BMX Club walking away with Sports Personality of the Year for his outstanding international achievements despite a serious accident early in the season and Great Bradfords Infant and Nursery School winning the School of the Year award for introducing new and varied inclusive after-school clubs.
Nominations are now open in the following award categories:
- Sports Personality of the Year (sponsored by George Yard Shopping Centre)
- Young Sports Personality of the Year (sponsored by George Yard Shopping Centre)
- Physical Activity Project of the Year (sponsored by Provide)
- Services to Disability Sport (sponsored by Fusion Lifestyle)
- Unsung Hero (Volunteer) (sponsored by Milbank Concrete Products)
- Young Community Volunteer (U18) (sponsored by Greenfields Community Housing)
- Active School or College of the Year (sponsored by Community Iron)
- Sports Club of the Year (sponsored by Braintree Village)
- Sports Coach of the Year (sponsored by Braintree & Witham Times)
- Life Time Services Award (sponsored by Braintree District Council Chairman)
In a joint statement Councillor Peter Tattersley, Cabinet Member for Health and Communities, and John Wood chairman of the Active Braintree Foundation said:
“It’s excellent that we can honour our local sporting heroes for a sixth year running. It’s a brilliant opportunity to shine a light on those who show inspiring commitment, determination and talent across the sporting community. If you know anyone you think is deserving, this is a perfect opportunity to nominate them for a well-deserved award.”
The winners will be announced at the award ceremony on Monday 18th November 2019 at Braintree Arts Theatre.
For more press information or enquiries contact Marketing & Communications, Braintree District Council on 01376 557752 or at firstname.lastname@example.org