The Prime Minister announced last night that with immediate effect the whole of the country needs to stay at home apart from ‘essential workers’.
The voluntary sector is classed as ‘essential work’ and the government is expecting us to still offer a service. Although this may be limited and will be quite different to our current level of service. Rest assured the team at C360 will be on hand to support you.
We have established five priority areas that we are focusing on at the moment. Below is an update of where we are at (as at 24th March 2020):
- We are currently working with 18 GP practices in Colchester to receive referrals to support patients with our My Social Prescription™ (MSP™) service. As result of the government’s decision to contact 1.5 million ‘Category A’ people we have a referral pathway in place with the GP Care Advisors to take referrals specifically for these people to triage non-medical needs. This has started from this week.
- Furthermore we are supporting hospital discharge with transportation and MSP™ referrals as required
- Through our Community Transport service we have 1200+ members registered. We are currently conducting welfare calls with all members and signposting and supporting with services as needs be. Though the MSP™ team we will also be conducting wellbeing calls with a view to, most likely in the long term at least, establish a telephone befriending style service. We recognize that isolation is going to play a huge part in people’s lives moving forward (particularly the older and vulnerable). All these individuals are being contacted by our staff and volunteers.
- Support packs are currently being collated. We are working in partnership with Firstsite who have agreed to store them. Packs include key food items, however, we expect these items will vary due to supply and demand. We will try and tailor the packs to the individual needs where possible.
- The packs themselves have been provided by us (C360) with funding we hold from the North East Essex Health and Wellbeing Alliance. We have had received donations of bags (we will be needing more) from Kent Blaxill and Metro Bank (thank you) and as of today we have started to distribute them in the community through our MSP™ and Transport team.
- We are engaging with key partners across all services and areas, particularly the Food Bank with regards to the support packs. The teams are undertaking an extensive and continuous mapping exercise of key services and activities which we are sharing through our twice weekly C360 news email, our website and in the window of the One Colchester Hub.
- Through our transport resource we are offering – Critical trips for members to access medical appointments, prescriptions pickups and shopping (making use of the vulnerable adult early opening at the super markets). Additional capacity to the hospital discharge team and we can also pick up and deliver prescriptions, as well as deliver support packs.
Over the coming days and weeks we will be updating you and keeping you informed on initiatives, ways to volunteer and how to support your charity.