NHS Cadets aims to attract young people into careers in the healthcare system and develop their skills so that they are ready to fully sustain themselves in health volunteering opportunities.
Through a 36-week programme, they will be helping young people to not only gain new skills and knowledge, but to get hands on experience in the NHS. They are aiming to specifically widen access to careers in the NHS for 14–18-year-olds who come from groups which have not traditionally entered into volunteering opportunities in the health care system.
Full details of our current vacancies are outlined below, if you would like any further information, please do not hesitate to contact your regional lead, Jane Fonteyn, on 07792 346683.
Do you work with young people aged 14-18 in the following criteria who may be interested in joining NHS Cadets:
- Living with learning difficulties and / or disabilities (we will need to discuss if we have the support network to help you participate)
- Young people in the care system, or recent care leavers
- Refugees or Asylum Seekers
- Young Carers
- Homeless young people
- Those previously involved with drug or alcohol misuse
- Those not in education, employment or training, or with poor school results / predicted to get poor results
- Those living with mental health concerns (same principle as anyone with a learning difficult or disability)
- Those who identify as being part of the LGBTQI+ community (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer intersex+)
- Those coming from low-income families/young people in receipt of free school meals
- Young people from ethnic minority communities whose race/religion could be or has been a barrier to considering a pathway to healthcare
Please see attached the leaflet here : Leaflet-for-YP-recruitment-June-21-1.pdf (2 downloads)
and the EOI form here: NHS Cadets expression of interest – Colchester (office.com)
Current vacancies in the programme
Youth team volunteer – NHS Cadets; 10 hours per month based in Colchester – Youth Team – NHS Cadets Volunteer opportunities | St John Ambulance (sja.org.uk)