The new £500,000 scheme offers grants of between £2,500 and £25,000 for projects that reflect the objectives of the Windrush Community Fund, which are to:
- Increase awareness and visibility of the support available under the Windrush Scheme (documentation) and Windrush Compensation Scheme.
- Reach more communities and those individuals who may have been affected because they could not show that they had a right to live in the UK.
- Ensure that individuals and communities have accurate information about the schemes and how to apply.
- Build capacity at a community and grassroots level in supporting those affected to access the schemes.
The funding is for activities including, but are not limited to:
- Holding events, for example: cost of venue, refreshments and other associated costs.
- Producing and distributing marketing materials.
- Running communications campaigns, both online and in person. The guidance notes provide details on social distancing measures related to Covid-19).
- Engaging and supporting people who are eligible under the Windrush Scheme (documentation) and Windrush Compensation Scheme.
- Accessing and using communication channels, for example social media, local radio.
- Securing support from corporate partners, public or prominent figures or advocates.
- Up to £2,500 must be delivered within six months of receipt of funding.
- Between £2,501 and £25,000 must be delivered within 12 months of receipt of funding.
There will be two phases of funding.
The deadline for phase 1 funding is 12 February 2021.