1st May 2018
Community360 (C360) is celebrating serving residents in Essex for 50 years. In order to recognize the role that the voluntary sector plays, to honour those who have spent time supporting people in the last 50 years and to say thank you to those who are still doing so, Community360 plans to organize a programme of events, beginning on the 1st May and running until the end of September.
At its heart are five pledges:
- Raise £50,000 for the voluntary and community sector
- Generate 50,000 hours of volunteer time
- Take part in and organise 50 events and activities to raise the profile of the voluntary and community sector
- Establish an archive of resources which will showcase the work the many charities and groups have provided in Essex in the last 50 years
- Identify 50 actions that can be taken in the future to improve the quality of life for residents locally – and matching them to people who can complete them
Alongside these main pledges, the team at Community360 have set their own targets, such as losing 50 pounds in weight and walking 50,000 steps in a team ramble. Some of the brave staff and volunteers will be skydiving to help to reach the target figure. The team has been privileged to work alongside the hundreds of volunteers and staff that have shaped and supported communities in Essex and would like to shine an even bigger spotlight on what we can all achieve by giving our time, skills and consideration to one another.
A registered charity and company limited by guarantee, C360 exists to build ‘thriving local communities’. They do this by serving as a voice for the local voluntary sector – working with over 300 different community groups each year, many of whom only exist to serve local residents and are run by volunteers. C360 works with them to raise funds, gain skills and recruit volunteers, fielding over 1000 volunteer enquiries last year on the behalf of local charities. They also run Community transport services in Colchester and Maldon, facilitating more than 50,000 trips each year for people who have difficulty accessing public transport.
The celebrations will reach a climax on 28th September with a Gala Ball to raise funds and celebrate everything that will have been achieved.
Community360 was formed on the 2nd May 1968. Over the years, the organization has grown considerably and now stretches beyond its original footprint of Colchester, into Braintree, Tendring and Maldon, with some projects now covering the whole of Essex. It has helped to establish many local organisations, to fundraise millions of pounds for local community groups.
C360 formally invites groups to make suggestions.
- Would you like to volunteer and help us to meet our five pledges? This may be volunteering with C360 or any of the local groups we work with. Whatever your skills, we want to hear from you!
- Do you have information or a story to share that can form part of the voluntary sector archive? You may have images, flyers, personal memories that you would like to put on record.
- Would your business or group like to help us fundraise? Join our sky-diving team, set up your own event or contact us with any idea you may have.
- Do you have an action that you have identified, that we can help you fulfil? For example, would you like to set up a community garden or improve access to a service in your area? Let us know.
C360 now needs your input – how can you get involved and support this initiative and help us to show the foundations that the voluntary sector has built ready to build upon in the future. Call C360 on 01206 505250 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to contribute
Visit our dedicated 50th Anniversary web page for further information.