2023 is a Year of Celebration for Colchester as it marks its new modern city status with a programme of events, activities and milestones.
There is a programme of fantastic events taking place across the city centre and surrounding towns and villages. From world class exhibitions at museums and galleries to incredible art, performance and live music events all celebrating this historic year in Colchester’s history.
The events coming up in April, May and June are:
- Now, until 18 June 2023: BIG WOMEN: Curated by Sarah Lucas at Firstsite
- Now, until 31 December 2023: Online Exhibition: City Celebration
To celebrate Colchester’s city status, historic charters dating back to the reign of King Edward III in 1364 are online to view.
- 30 March to 16 April 2023: Colchester Art Society Spring Exhibition: at The Benham Gallery, Cuckoo Farm Studios.
- 1 April 2023: Dino Discovery Day at Colchester Zoo
- 28 – 6 April and 11 – 27 April 2023: The Story of Britain’s First Town Wall: Colchester Archaeological Trust Exhibition at The Minories Gallery
- 8 April 2023: Easter Eggsplorers at Essex Wildlife Trust Fingringhoe
- 25 to 29 April 2023: Around the World in 80 Days at Mercury Theatre
- 1-31 May 2023: Coronation Street Tag Trail
- 6 May 2023: Coronation Gun Salute in Castle Park
- 6 May 2023: Coronation Community Market and Picnic in Upper Castle Park
- 6 to 14 May 2023: Jane’s Walk Colchester at various locations
- 12 to 27 May 2023: Great Expectations at Mercury Theatre
- 26 May 2023: The Ford RideLondon Classique
- 2 June 2023: Colchester Zoo’s Big Birthday Bash and Zoobilee
- 3 to 4 June 2023: Colchester Medieval Fayre and Oyster Market in Castle Park
- 22-25 June 2023: The Essex Summer Opera Festival at Layer Marney
- 24-25 June 2023: Colchester Food & Drink Festival in Castle Park
- Beth Chatto Centenary events
Join the extra-special programme of celebratory events marking this historic year for Colchester: www.visitcolchester.com/yearofcelebration and keep checking back as more will be added throughout the year.