Independent Age have a free telephone information groups that are open to people 65+ in England, Scotland, and Wales . The Good to Know telephone groups invite a different guest speaker each week to discuss issues that matter to older people. Topics include scams, the cost-of-living crisis, social care, benefits and finding new social connections – things that are simply ‘Good To Know’ about.
Since the Good to Know Groups launched, they have been joined by guest speakers from organisations including StepChange, Mind, Parkinson’s UK, and Cruse as well as specialist advisors from Independent Age’s benefits and social care teams. Think of these groups like a cup of tea and a chat at a community centre, but over the phone in the comfort of your living room. The groups are particularly great for older people unable to get out and about or to online activities – but anyone over the age of 65 is welcome.
You can view Independent Age’s website to read more and to see what events are coming up – https://www.independentage.org/get-support/telephone-groups/good-to-know-groups.
How you can help
- Include information about Good to Know Groups on your website or in a physical/digital newsletter
- Sign up to our mailing list
- Invite Independent Age to speak to your teams or older people
- Ask Independent Age to post you some leaflets to share at events
- Host a Good to Know session with Independent Age to talk about your organisation and how you can support older people (if your organisation is national)
How to refer someone to Good to Know Groups
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ring the free helpline on 0800 319 6789